Friday, September 30, 2011

Joy at its purest

To say that today was amazing is an understatement.....each moment I soend in this country makes me grow .... These people live life in the purest, fullest, most amazing way.
We began our day at a womens co-op.... This non-profit teaches women craft skills and then offers them micro loans to give them theopportunity to go outin business on their own....their talents were amaing and its wonderful to see an organization offering them such empowerment.
Next stop....the special needs school...i'm not even sure how to begin to explin my emotions on this one. This school is the only one of its kind in this part of guatemala and offers education to over 30 students with only 4 teachers. It is funded via sponsorships as government funding is very limited. As we walked into the courtyard I was embraced by a young girl downs syndrome...talk about melting my heart. No language barrier at all - her smile said it all....It took all I had not to bring her home with me....Another little one Brandon also took to me....I easily coyld have spent the rest of my day experiencing these kids and soaking in their pure love and energy!
The afternoon had us back in El Molino as we did a skit for the students showing the importance of handwashing....as a majority of these kids do not have running water this isn't a well known habit in their lifes. How excited they were we at the end of the skit when we gave each of them a bar of soap....when was the last time you were grateful for a bar of soap? When we asked them to meet us by the sinks to oractice washing their hands, there was a mad rush....once qgain amazing. Few American kids woul get even the slightest bit excited abput washing their hands let alone getting a bar of soap
Well, my eyes are getting heavy and i know that tomorrow will be a long work day, so i must signoff and get some sleep.
Count your many blessings and livr joyfully!
Xoxo.cd

No comments:

Post a Comment